Friday 26 February 2016

Story #185 - Park bench therapy (part 4)



"We've been walking for a half an hour now. How much longer?"
"I wanted to find a suitable spot. I wanted to get you out of the park and its solitude into the busy streets of the city. And this is as busy as it can get for this time."
"I don't like where this is going."
"Great. I want you to howl like a wolf?"
"Huh? Howl? Why?"
"You don't like sharing, right? You don't like to speak up. You'd much rather get hurt and drag yourself to the hospital than call an ambulance or yell for help."
"Is that such a bad thing?"
"You have a voice, don't you? It's time to use it."
"No. I'm not going to howl like a bloody wolf."
"Not like a bloody one. Just a regular one."
"Hah. The answer is still no."
"Are you afraid that everyone will stop in this perimeter and watch you? They'll just flat out stop whatever they're doing, and glance at you for 10-15 seconds? Is that what scares you to death?"
"How the hell do you know what ails me?"
"I have a hunch. If I howl, will you howl after me?"
"No."
"What if we do it together?"
"No."
"Give me one solid reason why not."
"Because...it's stupid."
"Do you like singing? Or singers?"
"Yeah, sure."
"How do you think those people started singing?"
"I doubt they howled."
"No, probably not, but they got themselves out of their comfort zone and started doing it. And they felt great."
"Mhm."
"Do you want to be stuck in this silence for the rest of your life?"
"Look, I-I-I'm afraid that even if I do this, nothing will change."
"People go through ten steps whilst they're in rehab. You can say that this is your first."
"Fine. If it'll make you stop nagging me, I will do it. But only after you."
"Okay. Augh Augh Auuuuuuu!"
"What the hell was that? A neutered hamster? People are laughing."
"Great. I made they're day better by making them laugh. Whether I sounded like a wolf or not is beside the point. I did it. I feel better. Others are the same. And since you're talking shit, how's about you show me how it's supposed to be."
"Curse you. AU AU AU AUUUUUUUUUUU!!!"
"That was terrific."
"Oh, God."
"How do you feel?"
"Like I wanna die."
"No, you don't."
"I don't. I feel sweaty, though. And strangely pumped up."
"See? You were also afraid of how people would react, and apart from some laughter, everybody's going their way."
"Yeah. What's next?"

No comments:

Post a Comment