Tuesday 29 September 2015

Story #35 - A drinking problem


"Why do you like to drink?"
"I...I don't think I can give you a nice explanation for that. I mean, you either like alcohol or you don't, and if you do, sometimes one or two beers just aren't enough."
"I sometimes enjoy my alcohol, especially whisky, but I keep it to a minimum. I don't go overboard because I know what will happen to me if I do."
"You get a little tipsy?"
"Tipsy, yes. I also get sick. My stomach rumbles plenty. My brain will think it is in a state of emergency and it will make me throw up. And I hate doing that so much..."
"I don't think anybody enjoys it."
"...feeling my groin muscles contract..."
"Okay, okay, I know the feeling. You don't have to tell me about it. It's nice to know that even someone like you, who is clean-shaven and looks spotless, has had these moments happen to him."
"You have to know what's good for you, right? I value a secure and boring life over crazy happenings. Which is why I called you here."
"Crazy moments is a bit much. I'd argue."
"You've been known to fight whenever you're drunk. You've spent countless nights in jail. You have a record. You haven't held a job for longer than a month. I don't know how you make enough to pay the rent, the bills, and buy alcohol to get drunk."
"I don't have rent' I live in a shelter, in a rundown bed along with twenty other people in the same room. There are flies because no one really showers. The shelter's is broken and they aren't offering us anything. I've seen small crap around. Hell, I probably saw some blood as well."
"Then why aren't you living? Why aren't you trying to change your life around? Why are you torturing yourself like that?"
"There is no possible way to change. I've tried. I went to AA. I to rehab. I was even taken in police care, and all that did was to show what kind of a shitty person I am. I lied and stole from everyone that gave me their shoulder. I took their punches without retaliating. I was fine with it. A bruise for a beer."
"If you bring misery to people, and are unable to change, why don't you commit suicide?"
"I'm shocked that you're telling me this, when you should be offering good tips. But I suppose that's as good a tip as any. Actually, I've been thinking about it for a while now. Except for booze, there's nothing that's keeping me here. And I really mean that. I have no skills. I can't be nice to people. I can't really smile because I'm always grim. Yeah. I think I'll do that."
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to give you..."
"You simply said aloud what me and others were thinking for a while now. Don't worry. It's not your fault. I get it. You wanted to help. And you did. And you'll make the area a better place. You should be happy about that, even though you probably feel terrible right now. Well, thanks for your time. Bye."

No comments:

Post a Comment