Friday 25 September 2015

Story #31 - Animal gathering for a purpose


There was an impromptu meeting between animals. A bear, a stray cat, a stray dog, a wolf, a fox, and a squirrel.
"Look," said the bear. "I dislike all of you, and I would like to get my hands on that conniving fox, but for the sake of our forest, we should discuss what we're going to do about those stupid humans."
"I, for one, don't care," said the cat. "I get fed by some, and I can fix pigeons, and I can..."
"Kill you," interrupted the dog. "You left home for a reason. So did I. But don't forget that I can easily make you vanish."
"Apart from the bear, I can make you all go away, so stop with this idle chatter," replied the wolf. "Either we do something for ourselves, or the humans will make us extinct. And don't think that they aren't okay with eating bears and squirrels, and wearing fox fur. Actually, I don't see why you two are here. Humans love dogs and cats. Not us, though. Someone can easily adopt you two. Feed you nice food, make you, dog, hunt for squirrels and foxes."
"They can make me hunt, but I don't want to hunt. I want to sleep, eat what they give me, and maybe play around with their children."
"Okay," said the wolf. "Maybe you won't attack us. But you won't be attacked by them. You have no fear of being put to extinction. Even if you two die, there are still millions like you. We don't have that. Look at the squirrels. They used to be quite a lot, and now not so much. Since we gathered, he's been shivering and shaking and looking all over the place."
"I need a nut, man. Haven't had one in two days. I'll be just skin like this. You guys maybe took 'em for your own enjoyment," the squirrel said and went up a tree.
"Don't be daft," the bear replied. "This is the kind of thing that boggles my mind. Humans are smart because they group together. And that's how they hunt us down, one by one."
"Even if we were to make something out of this, they have guns and traps. It's impossible," said the wolf.
"So you're saying that we should give up just like that?"
As the bear retorted, a loud band was heard.
The squirrel fell on the ground, near them, blood gushing from everywhere, the animal twitching and gasping for air like a fish out of water.
All of them had their eyes wide open, and soon scrambled in different directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment