Thursday 31 March 2016

Story #219 - Lunch break conversation (end)



It's been over an hour and nobody has come out; nobody rang my phone or come in, either.
I wonder what the heck they're doing. Oh, it was supposed to be a regular day that was spoiled by my mouth. Though I have this moody-bullshit feeling right now, I also notice that my stomach is making "Hello" noises. The sign of starvation. How I loathe thee, hunger...
The E.R. light switched off. The door knob flinched, then went down. The space was filled with lively light from inside the closed space. A doctor with a mask on took a couple of steps out, scraped the paper-thin thing off his face and basked in fresh air to his lungs' content.
I decided to approach.
"Excuse me. Did you operate on a girl by any chance?"
"Yes."
"Is she going to be okay?"
"I'm afraid not."
"She-"
"Her body had been in a state of decay for a long time, based on her organs. Even though we tried our damnedest, there was nothing we could do."
"Can't be..."
"Sorry, kid. I know it must be hard to believe. I'm really sorry."
I don't remember what happened afterwards, but the only thing I could think about was 'From a shitty ketchup-fused chip, huh?' and that made me mad, and teary eyed, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment