Tuesday 29 March 2016

Story #217 - Lunch break conversation (part 15)



I didn't know what else to do, so I left the pub and went on my way towards the hospital.
The sun was still high at this hour, with no cloud in sight. 'Some shades would be useful.' I thought as I placed my hand in my trouser pocket. It started moving by itself, vibrating even. 'What the... Oh, right, phone.'
Curious to see who it was, I took out fast enough to hit the seam and drop the sucker on the pavement.
'Great! Cracked screen.' Then I press the button. "Hello?"
"You know, it was unfair of me to go all out and make your life miserable."
"Sarah?"
"And saying sorry right now is kinda late, maybe pointless, but still, I'm sorry."
"Uh-huh. Somebody put you up to this?"
"No."
"Strange."
"Why?"
"I wouldn't think you'd say those words."
"I shouldn't, but I figured you suffered a lot."
"I did. Do you by any chance remember the girl that grabbed me in the cafeteria?"
"Kinda. Why?"
"Know her name?"
"No. I probably have heard of her if I'll think hard, but it's not someone I've come in contact with before."
"Oh."
"Why?"
"She's in the hospital. I needed her name to call her folks."
"Wh-wh-wh-what did you do, you idiot?"
"Nothing. She ate a chip with ketchup and fell ill."
"Huh..."
"You know I wouldn't hit a girl."
"Not with your limbs."
"Funny. If you've got nothing else to say, I'm hanging up."
"Where is she?"
"At the hospital."
"I mean which one."
"Err...the local one."
She closed the call. Weirdo.

No comments:

Post a Comment