Tuesday 29 December 2015

Story #126 - The unskilled worker's dilemma



There's always this talk about wanting to move forward with your life via your job. In a way it makes, but what if your next job is worse?
And before that happens, there's the other question: What am I going to do next?
Whenever you change jobs, you have to have that question, and then you start making lists of your skills and traits and whatnot.
I remember talking to this guy who was in the process of changing his job.
"What do you want to do?" I say.
"I don't know. I don't like anything."
"Surely there's something. What are you good at?"
"Antagonizing people."
"Yeah...that's not a skill I'd recommend to people."
"I know."
"How about you turn into a clown? People expect to be entertained by them. Or a comedian."
"I'm not funny. I could try being a clown, though."
And that's how he became a clown. He's enjoying himself, as weird as that sounds, by shaking people's hands with the buzzer in his palm, by spraying water in their faces, especially children's, by letting them touch his red nose and see how embarrassed they look when it makes fart noises. Yeah, he gets a kick out of it.
Me? I don't know. Haven't decided. I'll have to find a friend to figure me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment