Thursday 22 October 2015

Story #58 - Red panda for a pet


"Darling, your dad and I feel that you can have a pet now. What would you like?"
"A...a...a...red panda."
"A what?"
"A red panda, mommy."
"I don't know that one."
"It's small, with ears, and teeth, and paws, and a tail, and a nose, and eyes."
"Ahem. We'll look into it, okay? Now go and play."
"'kay."

Several days have passed.
"Mommy?"
"Yes, darling?"
"Will you still get me my red panda?"
"Uh... Baby, how should I explain this to you...we cannot have a red panda in our house because the law doesn't allow us."
"That's stupid."
"But it's the truth. They're protected, and you can't raise them like you do a dog or cat."
"That's stupid."
"Don't you want a cat instead?"
"No."
"What about a hamster?"
"No. Only a red panda."
"Well, I guess you won't get a pet."
"That's stupid. I hate you."
He left the room.
"You'll get over it. Can't afford one of those creatures. They're odd. Wouldn't want them in the neighborhood."

No comments:

Post a Comment