Saturday 3 October 2015

Story #39 - Every kid dreams wildly


"Mommy, I know what I wanna be."
"What's that, Danny?"
"A thug."
"A what?"
"A thug, mommy. Like those people on the streets that go around with guns in their arms."
"Do you want to kill people, honey?"
"No, mommy. I want to protect people."
"Why don't you become a police officer?"
"Because they hurt innocent people."
"How can you say something like that?"
"It's true. I saw it on the news yesterday. A man was walking down the street, and he wanted to cross over. He let the cars go by, and crossed over once there were no more cars. Then the police man came and hit him over the head with the bat. Then he arrested him. I don't want to be like that."
"You can be a good officer, in that case."
"No, no, no. I don't want that. Thugs dress nicely, officers do not. Thugs have their own schedule, and they are charming, too."
"Darling, thugs are doing bad things to people. They sell drugs. They make you want to do things you don't want to do."
"I don't care, mommy. I will do them, and like it."
"What happened to your previous dreams?"
"Everybody is a footballer, a baseballer, a hockeyer, a basketballer. Plenty of others are astronauts, scientists, musicians, painters, artists. I never hear a story of someone wanting to be a thug."
"Because they know better. You should, too."
"I should, but I don't care. I want to be a thug."

No comments:

Post a Comment